When Pixar released the movie Up in 2009, audiences of all ages were charmed by the story of an old man and his young sidekick as they journeyed to South America. The film’s colorful visuals and moving plot made it one of the studio’s most popular films ever. And while the movie is now over ten years old, its popularity has not waned one bit.
One of the things that makes Up so special is its ability to appeal to viewers of all ages. Kids love the film’s adventure and humor, while adults appreciate its more mature themes. This cross-generational appeal is one of the reasons the movie has remained popular for so long.
And what better way to show your love for Up than by baking these adorable Up cupcakes? These treats are perfect for a movie night with friends or family, an Up movie themed party or as an after-school snack for the kids. And best of all, they’re super easy to make!
(THIS POST CONTAINS SOME AFFILIATE LINKS FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE: READ MY FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY)
Ingredients needed to make the adorable Up Cupcakes
- 1 box yellow cake mix + additional ingredients per directions OR your favorite recipe
- Chocolate frosting, in piping bag with very small cut tip
- Vanilla frosting, in piping bag with large cut tip
- Light color frosting, in piping bag with very small cut tip, or wilton yellow icing tube
- Bubblegum balls
How to make the Up Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners. We used plain ones but you could use colorful ones to add a little bit more fun to the cupcakes
- Prepare cake mix according to package instructions OR use your favorite cupcake recipe.
- Fill each cupcake liner about 2/3 full with cake batter.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick or cake tester comes out clean when inserted into the center of a cupcake.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
- Use the vanilla frosting to pipe a smooth flat swirl on the cupcake, see image for a visual guide.
- Use the chocolate frosting to draw a house at the bottom of the cupcake, see image for a visual guide.
- Use the light colored frosting to add detail to the house as shown, see image for a visual guide.
- Use the chocolate frosting again to make balloon strings in varying lengths from the house out toward the edge of the cupcake
- Place a gumball at the end of each string
Recipe notes and tips:
While the recipe is straightforward, it is always nice to have a few different tips and suggestions to make things easier. So here are some of the recipe notes and tips to help you out:
- We have used a box cake mix but if you prefer to make your own cupcake mix then that is perfectly fine.
- The sky is the limit when it comes to frosting flavors and colors. So feel free to get creative and use whatever you like best.
- You can find bubblegum balls at most supermarkets or here at Amazon online.
- These cupcakes are best enjoyed the same day they are made. However, they will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Variations to try:
Like with many recipes there will always be variations to try. Here are a few suggestions.
- Use a different cake flavor or recipe. Chocolate, vanilla, or even red velvet would be delicious.
- Instead of bubblegum balls, try using marshmallows or candy hearts.
- What do you think? Will you be giving these Up cupcakes a try? Let us know in the comments below!
Like with any recipe, there are often questions that need answering. I thought I would share some of the common questions here, but if you have any comments or questions please don’t hesitate to get in touch directly.
Yes, you can. Just be sure to store them in an airtight container at room temperature and they will stay fresh for up to 3 days.
Of course! You can use any cake recipe or mix that you like best. Just be sure to prepare it according to the package directions or recipe instructions.
There are so many possibilities! Try using a different cake flavor or recipe, different frosting flavors and colors, and even different decorations. Any themed party you can make themed cupcakes, like Alien cupcakes, Beauty and The Beast Cupcakes and Cute Fish Cupcakes, just get creative and have fun with it!
These Up cupcakes are the perfect way to celebrate your child’s birthday. These cupcakes are decorated to look like the balloons attached to the house from the popular Pixar movie Up. So not only do they taste great, but they also make a great addition to any Pixar-themed party, Balloon party or celebration. And the best part is that they are super easy to make the kids can help. So whether you are a beginner baker or an experienced pro, you will be able to whip up a batch of these Up cupcakes with ease.
So what are you waiting for? Get baking!