I just love the look of these Little Fishy Cupcake, which will be perfect for an Under the Sea party or even a Mermaid Party. Even if you are having a pool party or beach party these will fit right in.
The kids will be able to make these with you, as you only need a few ingredients and they are easy to make. These Fish Cupcakes will sure to be a hit with all the party guests.
You could easily make Rainbow Fish Cupcakes by adding rainbow colored M & M’s or even skittle to the cupcake, they would be just perfect for rainbow themed party.
With the movie FINDING NEMO being so popular, fish themed parties or Under the sea themed parties have really become so of the top themed parties in the last 5 years.
(THIS POST CONTAINS SOME AFFILIATE LINKS FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE: READ MY FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY)
Ingredients needed to make the Cute Fish Cupcakes:
- First start off with your favorite cupcake mix. You can use a cake mix or make them them from scratch with you own recipe. We have been using this vanilla cupcake recipe as we love it.
- Buttercream frosting in a piping bag with a large cut tip
- M&M’s candy, various colors
- Rainbow candy strips cut into triangles for the tail fin Sugar decorating eyes
Bake cupcakes per recipe and cool completely, these would be nice if you did them in different colored cupcakes liners and then you could match them up with the colored M & M’s. You may even want to use these Fish Themed Cupcake liners
Pipe the buttercream frosting on each cupcake in a smooth, flat swirl, you may want to practice first so you get it right, or if the kids are doing it, it doesn’t matter they don’t need to be perfect.
Sort the M & M’s into colors, that is if you want them the look like our but experiment and so them how you like them best. Then begin laying down the M & M’s on one side of the cupcake, allow them to overlap just a little. There really is no right or wrong way to do them.
Leave an oval shape section uncovered on the opposite side of the cupcake so you can add a face of the fish to it.
Place a sugar eye on the face and squeeze a little colored frosting to make a mouth.
Add the rainbow candy tail on the back of the fish, wide side out so it looks like the fishes tail fin.
These fish theme cupcakes will be a go to cupcake for many parties to come. You really don’t need to have an excuse to make them, when friends pop over these are great to keep the kids entertained
Recipe notes and tips
While the recipe is straightforward, it is always nice to have a few different tips and suggestions to make things easier. So here are some of the recipe notes and tips to help you out:
- Always leave the cupcakes to cool completely before adding the frosting and decoration. The longer the better. If the cupcakes are too hot the frosting will melt and create a big mess.
- If children are helping, make sure they are supervised when using a stand or hand mixer.
- Make sure you store the cupcakes in an airtight container to ensure maximum freshness.
- If you are making these cupcakes for an event or special occasion, a great tip is to make the cakes a day before. If you leave the frosting till the last moment they will look amazing and taste like perfection. It will save you a lot of time when preparing for the party.
Like with any recipe, there are often questions that need answering. I thought I would share some of the common questions here, but if you have any comments or questions please don’t hesitate to get in touch directly.