I’m a mom who has spent countless hours watching her kids delve into the pixelated world of Minecraft. If you’re anything like me, you’ve probably heard your little ones talk about creepers, diamonds, and crafting more times than you can count.
If you are planning a Minecraft themed birthday party you might be searching for quick and easy Minecraft cake ideas. Here I want to share a fun and delicious way to whip up a delicious cake for your Minecraft enthusiast.
My kids have always loved the game, and I’ve found that it is not too hard to incorporate elements from their favorite digital realm into their birthday celebrations.
My attempt at a Minecraft-themed cake was a big hit in our household, and I’m here to share with you some tips I learnt along the way.
(THIS POST CONTAINS SOME AFFILIATE LINKS FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE: READ MY FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY)
Easy Minecraft Cake
Before we dive into the baking adventure, let’s gather everything you’ll need:
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- A cake mix (or your favorite cake recipe)
- Frosting (green, brown, and any other Minecraft-themed colors)
- Square or rectangular cake pan
- Food coloring
- Fondant (for decoration)
- Minecraft figurines (optional but a great addition)
Baking the Cake:
- Preheat your oven according to the cake mix or recipe instructions.
- Prepare your cake mix as directed. If you’re using a mix, it’s usually a straightforward process of adding eggs, oil, and water. Follow the instructions closely.
- Pour the cake mix into your square or rectangular cake pan. This will form the “canvas” for your Minecraft-themed creation.
- Bake the cake as directed on the box or in your recipe. Make sure to keep an eye on it as it bakes. A toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean when it’s ready.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before you move on to the fun part: decorating!
Decorating Your Minecraft Cake:
- Start by applying a layer of green frosting to the entire cake. This will be the “grass” in your Minecraft world.
- Use brown frosting to create a “dirt” border around the edges of the cake.
- Now comes the fun part – crafting! Take some small, colorful squares of fondant and use them to create your Minecraft blocks. You can make “dirt,” “wooden planks,” “stone,” or any other block that inspires your child’s imagination. Cut out squares, rectangles, and other shapes to match the blocks from the game.
- Place these fondant blocks onto the cake in a creative pattern. Your kids can help with this part, and it’s a great opportunity for them to express their love for the game.
- Add Minecraft figurines to complete the scene. These can be Steve, Creeper, or any other favorite characters.
Here is a great video I found on YouTube showing how to make fondant cake toppers.
Minecraft Cake Decorating Tips
In my experience, planning ahead when making a Minecraft cake has been a game-changer. When you get everything ready early, it takes away the rush and stress. It also gives you time to come up with a cool design, instead of rushing around at the last minute.
Make a Design
Before you start baking, plan out the design of your Minecraft cake. You can sketch a simple blueprint with the layout of the blocks and where you’ll place the figurines. This will help you stay organized during the decorating process.
Use Gel Food Coloring:
When coloring your frosting, especially for creating the “grass” and “dirt” layers, opt for gel food coloring. It provides vibrant colors without thinning out the frosting, which can happen with liquid food coloring.
Create Minecraft Block Templates:
If you’re not confident in your fondant block-cutting skills, you can create templates from cardboard or plastic and use them as guides for cutting out precise shapes. This will help ensure your Minecraft blocks look authentic.
Be Patient with Fondant:
Working with fondant can be a bit tricky, so take your time. Dust your work surface with powdered sugar or cornstarch to prevent sticking. If you make a mistake, don’t worry; fondant is forgiving, and you can re-roll and try again.
If you don’t want to use fondant, you can make a great cake with buttercream. Check out this easy homemade creeper cake for inspiration.
You can prepare the fondant blocks and figurines in advance, even a day or two before you decorate the cake. This will save you time on the day you plan to assemble the cake.
Consider incorporating Minecraft-inspired flavors into your cake, such as adding crushed Oreos to the frosting for a “coal” texture or using green apple flavoring for a “creeper” twist.
Minecraft-Themed Plates and Utensils:
Enhance the Minecraft experience by using Minecraft-themed plates, cups, and utensils. You can find these at party supply stores or online, and it will make the cake presentation even more exciting.
Use Green-Colored Coconut for Grass:
One popular and easy way to create the grassy terrain on your Minecraft cake is to use green-colored coconut flakes. It is also perfect if your frosting skills are not great as it covers alot of mistakes. Here’s how to do it:
- Place sweetened shredded coconut in a ziplock bag.
- Add a few drops of green food coloring.
- Seal the bag and shake it vigorously until the coconut is evenly tinted with green.
- Sprinkle the green coconut flakes over the green frosting You can also use a spoon or your fingers to create a textured look, imitating the grass blocks in the game.
Make Edible Minecraft Blocks:
To make edible Minecraft blocks out of fondant or colored chocolate, follow these steps:
- Roll out fondant or colored chocolate to the desired thickness.
- Use a square cookie cutter, knife, or a template to cut out even-sized square or rectangular shapes.
- Add details with edible food markers or edible paints to make them resemble Minecraft blocks. You can create wood grain patterns, stone textures, or any other details that match the game.
Fun Marshmallow Lava:
For the lava that flows in Minecraft, you can create a realistic look using red or orange-tinted marshmallow fondant. Roll out the fondant and drape it over the cake as if it’s flowing down the sides.
To add to the lava effect, you can include a few red or orange gummy candies like jellybeans or small gumdrops, making them look like they’re emerging from the “lava.”
Edible Minecraft Figures:
Consider purchasing small Minecraft action figures or toys. Place these figures strategically on the cake, recreating scenes from the game. It adds a touch of authenticity and is a real time saver if you are making this cake last minute.
Add Edible Decorations:
Add some edible cake decorations like edible sugar crystals, candy rocks, or edible gold and silver paint for adding extra details to the Minecraft world you’re creating.
Just remember your Minecraft cake doesn’t have to be perfect, and that’s perfectly okay. Just give it a go, plan ahead a bit, be creative, and have fun decorating. Your kids will love it no matter what. Happy baking!