If you are looking for a showstopper of a cupcake, then look no further than my Flamingo strawberry milk cupcakes. This sweet treat delivers everything in flavor and even more so in appearance. Cupcakes are just so tempting and are often a great choice for events and get-togethers.
These Flamingo themed cupcakes will work for many different events including a baby shower, tropical party, a summer get-together, or even a themed birthday party. If you like the sound of these incredible cupcakes then read on to find out everything that you need to create them and how to go about it.
(THIS POST CONTAINS SOME AFFILIATE LINKS FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE: READ MY FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY)
Ingredients needed to make the Flamingo strawberry milk cupcakes
Here is everything that you need to create these delicious cupcakes.
- 1 white cake mix
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup of Greek yogurt
- 1 ¼ cups of water
- ⅓ cup Nestle’ Nesquik Strawberry Flavored Powder
- Pretty Pink cupcake liners
- 1 stick salted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
- 1-2 teaspoons strawberry extract (depending on how strong of a strawberry flavor you want)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-2 tablespoons half and half or whole milk
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Pink food coloring
- 1 large piping bag and 1 large round frosting tip
- Wilton Flamingo Royal Icing Decorations, 8-Count
- Pink Sanding Sugar
How to make the Strawberry milk cupcakes
These ingredients will make around 24 cupcakes.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Once that is done spray or line a standard muffin tin ready.
- Next up, add the cake mix to a large mixing bowl. Using a hand or stand mixer, add in your oil, egg whites, yogurt, and Nestle Nesquik Strawberry Flavored Powder, and mix on medium until well incorporated. Then add in your water to create a smooth texture.
- Add batter into the muffin tin until each is about ⅔ full. Bake for 16-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow cooling completely before frosting.
- Now the fun part, to decorate them. To create the frosting get a large mixing bowl or stand mixer. Cream the butter, and beat until light and fluffy. Once you have completed that stage, mix in the vanilla and strawberry extracts and salt.
- Slowly mix in the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, while adding a bit of the half and half or milk in between each cup. This helps you to get the desired texture and consistency. Continue to mix for 1 minute or until creamy.
- Then get your pink food coloring and slowly add it to the mixture until you get the desired tone of color you were hoping for.
- Now it is time to get that frosting onto the cupcakes. Prepare the piping bag and fill the bag with frosting.
- Frost your cupcakes, sprinkle with your pink sanding sugar, and top each cupcake with a Royal Icing Flamingo Decoration.
Recipe notes and tips
While the recipe is straightforward, it is always nice to have a few different tips and suggestions to make things easier. So here are some of the recipe notes and tips to help you out:
- Always leave the cupcakes to cool completely before adding the frosting and decoration. The longer the better. If the cupcakes are too hot the frosting will melt and create a big mess.
- If children are helping, make sure they are supervised when using a stand or hand mixer.
- Make sure you store the cupcakes in an airtight container to ensure maximum freshness.
- If you are making these cupcakes for an event or special occasion, a great tip is to make the cakes a day before. If you leave the frosting till the last moment they will look amazing and taste like perfection. It will save you a lot of time when preparing for the party.
Variations to try
Like with many recipes there will always be variations to try. Here are a few suggestions.
- You could always make this chocolate flavored if you wanted. The same recipe would apply except you would need to buy a brown cake mix and use Nesquik chocolate powder instead. This could be a great alternative, or you could do a batch of each. The pink frosting and flamingo decorations will still look great.
- Why not add a few extra touches. Edible glitter always looks very effective when used for decoration purposes.
- If you want a different theme then follow the same process for the cake recipe and choose a different color and theme for the decoration. This could serve as the perfect basis for many creations in the future for different events and get-togethers.
Like with any recipe, there are often questions that need answering. I thought I would share some of the common questions here, but if you have any comments or questions please don’t hesitate to get in touch directly.
Can it be made ahead of time?
A great tip is to make these cupcakes ahead of time. This is because they can be fiddly with the frosting. So if you are making them for a specific event you could make these the day before, or even just leave the frosting until you need them and just get to the cooling stage.
How should I store the Flamingo strawberry milk cupcakes?
If you do need to store these cupcakes, the best way would be in an airtight container at room temperature. They should last a few days stored that way, although, they likely won’t last too long.
Can I freeze the Flamingo strawberry milk cupcakes after they are cooked?
If you do plan on freezing these cupcakes it would be best to do so after the stage of cooking and before you frost them. This is because the frosting and decoration won’t do too well in the freezer, but the cake mixture itself will.
Enjoy your Flamingo Strawberry Milk cupcakes.